Once you have defined targeting and before you launch the campaign and make changes accessible to users, you need to run your click trackings through the “QA process".
Running your click trackings through the QA process enables you to make sure click tracking is taken into account and visible in the campaign reports.
You can QA testing a click tracking via 2 methods:
By using the QA Assistant
In a standard campaign
Launch the QA Assistant via the QA & Overview step of your campaign or directly from your website page by typing the keyboard shortcut, alt+Q+A (for Windows) or ctrl+Q+A (for Mac).
- Make sur you are assigned to the right campaign: from the Campaigns tab you will find are the campaign you are assigned to, illustrated with the "Accepted" status.
- QA test the click action from the Events tabs: the Events tab enables you to perform QA in real time and to verify that actions and custom trackings have been correctly implemented on your campaign.
The following tracking types that can be verified with the QA Assistant:
- Action tracking (click tracking)
- Custom tracking
- Transaction goal
- Element visible tracking
- Dwell time tracking
- Scroll rate tracking
- Iframe click tracking
The page tracking is not compatible with the QA Assistant, your page goals won’t appear in the Events tab but will be displayed in the reporting interface.
🚩 Heads up
To perform the QA, you must be on a page included in the targeting of your campaign or on a page where tracking has been configured.
To do so, click the element of the page on which action tracking has been configured. The action name will automatically appear in the Events section, with the following information:
- The event name
- The event type (action or custom tracking)
- The campaign name and ID on which the event will be recorded
- The variation name and ID on which the event will be recorded
- The time at which the event was triggered
When clicking on the event name, you can see the corresponding element highlighted on the web page.
If you are looking for a specific event, from the search bar, you can enter the event id, event name or event type.
For QA testing a click tracking action on mobile device, please refer to Using the QA Assistant on mobile devices.
In a redirect test
Once you're affected on a redirected URL of a redirect test you won't be able to switch back to the original variation from the variation dropdown list.
On the original variation, make sure you've checked all click tracking actions before switching to the test variation.
By using your web browser's console
Before running the QA, make sure you are assigned to the campaign. For more information, refer to Assigning yourself to a campaign.
In a standard campaign
To check that your click trackings have been deposited correctly in a standard A/B test, apply the following steps:
- Go to the Network tab.
- Check the Preserve log box in order for the data to be saved if you change pages.
- Filter using the ariane.abtasty command.
- Via the web page, click the tracked CTA.
- Click the most recent Hit.
- In the Headers tab, go to the Request Payload section.
- Unfold the “h” chevron and the following chevrons until you see the name of the CTA and the ID of the related test.
If click tracking wasn't deposited correctly, the hit related to click tracking will not appear in the console when you click the CTA button. This can be due to a bad choice of selector during click tracking configuration in the variation editor.
In a redirect test
Click tracking works differently in the case of a redirect test because the page isn’t displayed in the variation editor.
To implement a Click tracking in a redirect test, refer to Measuring the number of clicks on an element (Track clicks) in a Redirect test.
To QA test the click trackings of a redirect test, follow the same steps as for a standard A/B test.
When you run checks in the console using the ABTasty.results function, it is normal for targeting to be rejected as the displayed page isn’t targeted.
To find out which campaign you are being redirected from, type the ABTasty.redirectedFrom command directly into the console. The campaign name is displayed.
Refer to the How do I set up a redirect test? support post for more information.