The Redirect test consists in using an existing page as a variation. It enables you to test a page without having to make your changes in the AB Tasty editor. For more information on the Redirect test, refer to How do I set up a redirect test?
Click tracking works differently in the case of a redirect test because the page isn’t displayed in the variation editor.
To make click tracking efficient, the AB Tasty tag must also be implemented on the page you want to redirect your visitors to.
Creating a click tracking
If the selectors of the elements to be tracked are identical, the test will work just like a standard A/B test. However, if the selectors of the elements to be tracked are different (different IDs, class, div, etc.), you need to add both selectors (element's selector on the original and element's selector on the variation) into the same click tracking.
Only unique conversions are recorded: if a visitor clicks on the same tracked element several times, it will count as one click.
There are two methods for depositing click tracking in a redirect test:
Method 1: changing the URL in the Main information step
- Implement the click tracking on the elements you want to track on the original page. To do this, refer to Measuring the number of clicks on an element (Track clicks) in an A/B Test.
- Go to the first step (Main information) of your test and replace the URL of the actual page with the page you want to redirect your visitors to.
- Click Save.
- Go back to the Editor:
The redirect page is displayed.
- Select the elements you want to track.
- Click Track clicks.
- In the configuration window, enter the exact same label as the one you put in the original version.
- Click Save changes.
When you create a click tracking on several elements with the same label, in the Goal step of your campaign, one goal appears for each click tracking you configured. You can select any goal. You will then see data related to this click tracking in your campaign report.
Method 2: adding the selector of the redirect page to an existing click tracking
- Create your click tracking in the original version. To do this, refer to Measuring the number of clicks on an element (Track clicks) in an A/B Test.
- In your browser, enter the URL of the page you want to redirect the visitors to.
- Open your browser’s console and go to the Elements tab.
- On the page, select the element you want to configure click tracking on.
- Right-click the element and click Copy > Copy Selector.
- Return to the variation editor and open the click tracking you originally configured.
- In the configuration window, add a comma at the end of the selector.
- Add a space and paste the selector you’ve copied from the console.
- Click Save changes.
The click tracking function is not retroactive. You must configure it before launching your test. If you don’t, your visitors’ clicks will not be recorded and it is technically impossible to retrieve them at a later point.
Once you have implemented your click tracking, you need to run your click trackings through the “QA process”. To do this, refer to QA testing a click tracking action.