The deferred campaign functionality enables you to defer the loading of some campaigns and thus to lighten the AB Tasty tag since fewer campaign data will be embedded in it. This will improve download speed and execution time. It will also lighten its browser footprint.
⭐ Good to know
When using this feature, the additional loading time should not exceed a hundred milliseconds. This won’t impact regular campaigns and will even make them load faster.
You may have campaigns that don’t need to be executed immediately when the page loads and can be delayed. For example, campaigns containing:
- an exit intent modal;
- changes on the body of the page;
- changes applied based on a trigger (after 5 seconds on-site, when clicking a button, etc);
- tracking only.
Using deferred campaigns can help you:
- Improve tag size: if some campaigns are deferred, the tag will be lightened as there will be fewer kilobytes in it.
- Improve execution time: as deferred campaigns won’t be running immediately, the tag will be lightened and executed more rapidly. This way, campaigns that have not been deferred will load faster.
- Using a high number of experiments at once: with deferred campaigns, the number of campaigns to download will be lower and there will be less conflict between live campaigns.
Activating deferred campaigns
By default, all campaigns are set to Instant, which means they are executed as soon as possible, when the page loads. To defer a campaign, apply the following steps:
- In the Tag Performance Optimization section, push the toggle button to Deferred.
- Click at the top right of the page to refresh the tag.
When using this method, the targeting of every live campaign is still embedded in the tag. The tag immediately assesses which campaigns the visitor needs to be exposed to, but will only download the deferred campaigns when they need to be applied. For example, if you are running customizations for mobile users, downloading campaigns designed for desktop users won’t be necessary.
⭐ Good to know
If you set a campaign to “deferred”, it won’t be present in the tag and will be downloaded afterwards and only if targeting applies. Once downloaded, the campaign will behave as usual.
Deactivating deferred campaigns
You may want to disable the deferred option on your campaign, for instance if you observe too much latency on your campaign. To do this:
- Push the toggle back to its initial state: Instant.
- Click at the top right of the page to refresh the tag:
The campaign will be executed when the page loads.
Need additional information?
Submit your request at email@example.com
Always happy to help!