Defining an audience for one of your campaigns means creating one or more groups of users and assigning targeting criteria to them.
Only visitors who meet these criteria will see the changes configured in the test or personalization.
The Data layer targeting criterion enables you to display or hide a variation from users as a function of the page they are viewing or the actions they carry out on your website based on the data available in your data layer.
In order to be able to use this targeting criterion, you need to configure your data layer via your account settings.
The Data layer option is included in our commercial Growth offer. For more information, please contact your sales representative.
Accessing the targeting criterion
To access the Data layer targeting criterion, apply the following steps:
- Select Custom audience from the drop-down list.
- Click Add a criterion.
- Click the Expert category.
- Place the cursor on the Data layer criterion and click Add.
If you’ve configured one of the tag management solutions supported by AB Tasty (i.e. TagCommander, Tealium or Google Tag Manager), its name is coupled with the Data layer targeting criterion.
You need to configure your data layer via your account settings beforehand.
The information included in your data layer coincides with a type of data or actions related to a variable or a label. It is available in the form of a key and a value in the targeting configuration interface.
To configure this key/value pair, apply the following steps:
- In the Key field, enter the type of data you are looking for.
- Select the relevant operator from the drop-down list.
- In the Value field, enter the desired variable.
- If necessary, click Add a variable to configure an additional key/value pair.
- Select the AN or OR Boolean operator as a function of the desired result.
- Save your changes.
You do not need to be familiar with the structure of your data layer. The keys are collected automatically every 24 hours by the AB Tasty tag and the Key field has an auto-complete feature: the names of all the keys in the data layer are suggested as you type.
You are looking to display a discount coupon for all visitors viewing products worth over $200 in the “Furniture” category.
In your data layer, product prices, for instance, are identified by the product_price key, and product categories by the product_category key.
- In the Key field, enter product_price .
- Select the Higher than operator from the drop-down list.
- Enter 200 in the Value field.
- Click Add a variable.
- In the Key field, enter product_category .
- Keep the equals default operator.
- Enter Furniture in the Value field.
- Select the AND Boolean operator.
- Save your changes.
Specific case of TMS in asynchronous mode
If you decide to implement your TMS in asynchronous mode, this may increase the flickering effect on your website.
This is why, as for the AB Tasty tag, we recommend implementing your TMS and your data layer in synchronous mode or even in server-side mode to avoid all risk of flickering on your website.